Subscribe for updates

Friday, December 23, 2011

Latest Blog Entry - AND - Nicaraguan Elections

I started the most recent Blog entry on comparing projects quite some time ago, so when it was finally published - it ended up way down the line, and not here at the top of the queue!  If you are trying to read them in order, you should go read this one now: Projects and Projects compared - it compares traditional "projects" and this new, more sustainable approach.

I didn't realize how Google's Blogspot would order these things.

Another Take On The Nicaraguan Election
But, while you are here, my friend Bill sent me a really nice piece on the recent elections in Nicaragua.  You can find it here: Nica The Other Side.

Having been there during the election, and having talked to parties on all sides, I still found this article quite enlightening.  It is very pro Ortega.  It provides a balance I had not heard in the press there.  For example, I did not realize that the Costa Rican constitution had a similar clause to the Nicaragua one - which that court also found was unconstitutional, so that the then sitting president of Costa Rica could run again.

I can only say that supporters of Ortega would not mind a bit if he stole the election, and the other side - the majority of the folk I was with - are quite certain that he did.

Everyone on both sides is also pretty well persuaded that Ortega is making a ton of money out of the Venezuelan gifts to Nicaragua.  But there is no denying that he is doing a lot of stuff for the poor of the country.  And he has been relatively positive for the business climate. He is clearly a populist - he will do almost anything to stay in power.

Both national newspapers treat him as a dictator in waiting.  If the article cited above has any flaw, it does not point out any of the potential downside of this approach to government.  I would not be so positive.    Reader beware!

On the other hand - could I get a third hand here? - this post on the same web site seems to do an admirable job of critiquing El Commandante Ortega:   The Many Political Faces of Daniel Ortega.  The one cited above appears to be a response to this one.

It is pretty clear to the opposition that Ortega would do anything to hold on to power.  And his supporters see nothing wrong with that.  It's how things work there, after all.

It is one complicated world there as it is here.  I also think that our own Florida and Ohio elections cited in the article were clearly suspect - see this detailed analysis in the Rolling Stone on Ohio:  Ohio Election.

If you read all of that and you still want to talk with me - leave a comment here.  Thanks.

Remember, "We're all in this together, and I'm pulling for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment