Subscribe for updates

Monday, December 5, 2011

AKF Communities Reunion

Good morning.  It is morning here again - the light starts up at 5:20 or so, and it is now almost 7:00.

We had a party here at the AKF center last night - with dinner and dancing!  Here's a small video of the events:

And here is another of one of our team members participating energetically!

The band in this group has one of the team members as the lead guitarist and singer.

I have longer and better ones in my camera which I am keeping for blackmail!  Actually, they are all good dancers.  There was one of the community members, though, that looked like he was made of rubber.  His hips could and did go anywhere!  I have to edit that a bit, but I'll post it on YouTube when I get a chance, and send a pointer to it.

Every year, AKF invites ALL of the members of ALL of the communities here to the Center for a reunion.  The intent is to let them meet the other communities, to share experiences, and to, generally, have a good time.  About 100 people were here yesterday, and spent the night - sleeping everywhere!  There are beds, cots, mattresses, hammocks - you name it!  A few went with community members from another community. Another 100 or more people will arrive this morning.

The logistics of this are considerable.  These folks come from 6 different places, via a variety of transport - most arranged by AKF.  They get 3 meals - dinner and breakfast for the overnight guests, and then a splendid noon meal for everyone.  I have had a chance to help shop, chop, wash, cut, peel and serve things to this point.  I watched with awe as Elena figured out where to have people sleep - the 100 overnight guests included a few children, etc.  She has them all in her brain, and she figures out the best accommodation for the person and the community.  I have a private room - very cool.

But then I am special!  I still have problems understanding them when they speak "normally", but I spent time talking to a variety of folk.

More on this later.  I have to go see how breakfast is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment