Subscribe for updates

Friday, November 4, 2011

Sweatshops around the World - paying $5 an hour! How cool is that?

There is a nice piece today from the New York Times Opinionator pages on a creative use of the Internet to provide jobs in developing countries.  (Have you noticed that some dictionaries accept that word WITHOUT the capital I.  I was always wondering where we were going with that - like German where you capitalize all Nouns, or what.)


The article cites two firms that are hiring high school graduates in developing countries to do small tasks on the Internet.  Wonderful programs both - from $3 to $5 an hour.  One includes college education.

Pat - here's your sweatshop opportunity!!

This would be Pat Patten, a Spiritan in Tanzania - and an old friend.  I think it was the first time I met him at Bethel.  He runs a school for handicapped, or "differently abled" in Arusha, Tanzania.  He also has a flying medical service.  He came up to me this day and asked me if I knew anyone that was looking to build a sweatshop!  He figured a buck a day - back then - would be a tremendous boost to his students!  Now, I would guess he would settle for a buck an hour.  That works out to be $2,000 a year, quite a bit above the median in Tanzania - or most parts of the world.  

These two firms are doing it well - one even includes a college education and tutoring program for its employees.  I have to see if these are public companies!

The idea is that you put in a high speed internet connection, and then outsource small tasks that require human intervention, but not too much training and education.  The firm provides training on computers and the internet - no really difficult skills.  They also provide the computers and internet access -- and that is the key.  One of them uses some sophisticated techniques to break the tasks down into smaller pieces - but it all works out.  Think Henry Ford and constructing an automobile.

There is, of course, the high probability that this will eventually become the same race to the bottom as manufacturing.  Computerized sweatshops around the world.  And easily movable as well.  Mostly too you need to know some English - but that will gradually change.

I am persuaded that poverty will end finally when the last outpost in Africa, the last place where people are working for peanuts, decides that they need more dollars per hour!  And, given this Internet thing, that day may not be far off.  Of course, all of us, and I mean ALL of us, will be paying for that.  The end of the $5 T shirt, and the $35 phone - or NOT.  We'll come up with something.

Trust you are doing well - all of you. 

I hope Ned got back there to California.  Have not heard a word from him.
We had an adventure getting back here to Managua.
Hope Pat Patten reads this one!!

I am off to visit one of the new communities for the first time.  The team decided that I am not too dangerous and they would let me come along.  I understand their Spanish well enough, but odds are I won't know what the community members are saying.  And if I talk at all, they can help me out!!

I'll let you all know tomorrow how that came out.  Gotta go!  Stopped raining here - not sure about the rest of Central America.  My clothes dried in record time.

No comments:

Post a Comment